Tuesday, October 5, 2010

How to make your own appliques for your furniture


These appliques were made with a technique known as "Russian Ceramic". This is a technique that I learned when I was living in Venezuela. With this dough you can make any kind of flowers, birds, jewellery, dolls, fruits, etc.
If you have any questions about how to make the dough, contact me at: kattyscosycove@yahoo.com

Rusian Ceramic Dough Recipe:


To make the dough:

5 cups of cornstarch

4 cups of white glue

2 cups of water

3 tablespoons of lemon juice

3 tablespoons of baby oil

1 tablespoon of hand lotion, for kneading the dough.



Combine glue, water, lemon juice, and baby oil in top of a double boiler, and mix with a wooden spoon until disolved. Add 4 cups of cornstarch little by little stirring constantly until it is dissolved and without lumps. Bring the water to a boil. Stir once and awhile. Cook until the dough starts to separate from the pot. Remove from heat. Put the dough on a working surface, add a little of the cornstarch if the dough is sticky. Put lotion in your hands and keep working until the dough is soft. You don't need to use the whole cup of cornstarch-use as needed. Wrap the dough in a plastic bag. Keep covered while using.


 The roses: Take a small portion of dough, form a string about 2" long to form the center of the rose.

 Form the petals by shaping small portions of dough into little pears and flatten them with your  finger. Make about 4 or 5 petals for each rose.

Work on a waxpaper surface. Mark or draw the desired shape of the applique on the waxpaper so you can follow it while you glue and join the roses together.


Form the leaf by shaping small portions of dough into little pears and flatten them with a real rose leaf on top of the dough to print the leaf vain.
Let dry on a flat surface. It will take about 2 weeks to dry fully, and will appear yellowish. If in the drying process the roses separate, just glue them back with hot glue.

Glue appliques to surface with hot glue, and paint or paint before attaching it to the surface.
I love these appliques because they "pop out" from the surface and I really enjoy them on my buffet.
Imagine the infinite number of projects that you could make with this dough. What about making the roses actual size, and gluing them on a mirror frame! I'm thinking of making that.

"Dahlias that never fade"
I made these beautiful flowers with the same dough explained above. After making the dough, I dyed it with Artisan water mixable oil colour by Winsor & Newton. This particular color is Alizarin Crimson.

Have a wonderful day and come back soon!



37 comments:

AnthonyRose'sShabHome said...

your very creative! don't know if I would have the patience to do that!
beautiful job!

Biljana said...

Great job, it looks so beautiful:))
Thanks for sharing.
I am your newest follower, come to visit my blog.
Greetings from Europe, Biljana

Dream Mom said...

Oh my gosh...these are so beautiful! I did a double take when I got to the dahlia's! You did a great job and it even looks doable for the average person
(like me, lol!).

I am always amazed when I see a beautiful project like this and there aren't any comments. Life isn't fair sometimes but your project is a standout. Just stunning!

My Cottage Charm said...

Could you explain to me the water part again. Do you get a pan of water and just put 1/4" water in it and then put the other ingredients in it? I'm not quite following...sorry. :) I do love your appliques...so cute! I can think of infinite possibilities with this "clay". :)
Thanks!
missy

The Decorating Diaries said...

Those are amazing. But I'm wondereing if mine would look as good as yours? I'm excited to try it out.

Janet

Anonymous said...

You are very talented to be able to make these things. Your wreaths and swags are so pretty. What did you use to tint the flowers in the bouquet?

Angela said...

Thank you for sharing, I will try to make them and hope they will look as pretty as yours!
Greetings, Angela-lace,
Dubai.

My Cottage Charm said...

Thanks for letting me know about the directions...now I get it! I'm a little slow! lol :) I am DEFINITELY going to try this out! I have mady appliques using another technique, but I'm always open to trying something new! :)
HUGS
Missy :)

Cindy said...

Wow! Very impressive! I think if I did that mine might look like a kindergarten art project! You make it look easy buy I think you are very talented! They are so beautiful!!!

Kelsie from Our Country Home and Studio Photography said...

Amazing work, such attention to detail...Thank you for sharing this recipe, me and my eldest daughter look forward to trying our hands at it too.

Kelsie

{oc cottage} said...

You must have the patience of a saint!
This is the coolest thing EVER!

m ^..^

{oc cottage} said...

I don't see an email address anywhere, so, I'll have to ask you here... may I have permission to use your pictures so that I can do a post about your amazing talent and creations?

Thx!

m ^..^

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your "recipe"! I'm looking forward to trying it out. Your appliques (and the Dalhias) are just gorgeous! ~Sheilla

Unknown said...

i think you have done a fabulous job on your cabinet, it looks so good and so new, who could have imagined that you have done it yourself and the way you describe is so easy and simple, i will be trying it out with my old cabinet as soon as i get the supplies, great post

AboutCabinets Blog

Lacey said...

You are a machine! Those are just amazing!

Unknown said...

Hi i was over on tales from an oc cottage blog and she mentioned you and your work hence me finding you. Your work is amazing i am in awe of this furniture and the beautiful flowers you have made they look so real, its truely amazing you are very talented..Dee ;-)

Nancy said...

OH MY GOSH! I read about this on "tales from an oc cottage." YOU must be reading my mind! I have recently wished that my dining room table "apron" had appliques like the French tables do. I would paint the apron and legs white, leave the top stained and "antique" the appliques. Now I can do it!!! Thanks! How cool is this? Way cool!
xo
Nancy

Mrs. Cherry Heart said...

I loooooooove these.
Thank you for the tutorial....I am going to try this.
I sure hope mine look half as good as yours! :-)

Smiles,
Dolly

Farah said...

Very creative and I specially love your idea of using the dough flowers, its absolutely very creative... I am pasting the URL of my dough flower post I would love if you please spare a little bit for me and let me know about it...When hobbies are same it is more than anything isn't:)... I am your newest follower too

http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/2010/06/fun-with-flowers-flowers-either-on.html

Love
Farah http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
Love

Kathy said...

Hello! Found you through Tales from the OC! What an amazing craft! I am now your newest follower!
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work, I lake it!!!
Very interesting,creative and romantic blog.
Thank you for sharing!

Big regards and kisses.
Zondra Art

umi_e said...

Hi... could I know, what should i add to make it be coloured?

Thanks

lvroftiques said...

I am now officially IN LOVE with your blog! I think it's one of the most creative I've found! I'm adding you to my sidebar...hope you don't mind? Vanna

Anonymous said...

Sweet Vanna sent me over here saying that I just had to see your blog- she knew I would love it and she's right!! I am your newest follower and I would love to show off your appliques on my Discovering Beauty post that I try to do on Saturdays.

Looking forward to seeing what other great things you're doing!!

bee blessed
mary

Tootsie said...

I made one of the swags to put on my cabinet last night. I can hardly wait till it dries!!! thanks for sharing this!!! You are incredibly talented

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful tutorial.... You've given great instructions and the finished product is just yummy. Now, if I can just pull it off.

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I am just speechless! These are gorgeous!!

Lou Cinda

Doni said...

Absolutely incredible! You have such a talent! Thank you so much for sharing this technique with us. I can't wait to check out the rest of your blog. I just found you on Pinterest and am now a follower!
Blessings,
Doni

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
darlene said...

Beautiful Flowers. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe and techniques.

Dora said...

I love how you made all those appliques...it's looks absolutely gorgeous!!

My question is....can they break?

Mandi said...

This is amazing! I have had this pin for a long while now...and have been refurbishing a lot of furniture of late, and want to try to jazz it up more. But, appliques are so expensive! I am putting all ingredients on my supply list! Thank you for sharing!

Cathy said...

These are indeed beautiful! I have the same question as Dora above. This post is about 5-6 years old now. How have the appliques lasted? Do they crack or break?

Anonymous said...

Hi There, I am wondering how hard this dough sets? Also is it pliable after it dries?

Suzanne said...

How do I get your blog sent to my email address please

deborahr729 said...

Can this clay be used in silicone molds, for furniture appliques ???

Tashbug said...

Hi
Will I Be Able To Use Coconut Oil or Vegetable Oil or Anything Else Besides Baby Oil... Your Knowledge Is Greatly Appreciated.. Thankyou For Your Amazing And Really Helpfull
Blog...
Tash

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...